Friday, May 12, 2017

Adobe gives the Premiere an overhaul and how I plan to teach it

Adobe updates Premiere

Adobe released updates for 2017 to many of their Creative Cloud applications this past April.  To my daily editor, Adobe Premiere, they'd added some much appreciated updates, including a revision to the dated Title tool and updated audio mixing options.  While I haven't yet had a chance to work with the latest version yet (the update downloading as I type this blog post), I really look forward to the updated titles, which should speed up my workflow in adding motion graphics and animated lower-thirds to my projects directly rather than flipping between Premiere and After Effects.  However, DaVinci Resolve, a well-established color grading tool, has been slowly increasing the capabilities of the software and recently purchased and incorporated professional audio software.  This makes DaVinci significantly more appealing to someone like myself and its intuitive interface is certainly a welcome sight over Adobe's (though to Adobe's credit, they have gotten better with the inclusion of their workspace panels).  I plan to work in DaVinci Resolve for a smaller project to see how the workflow compares to Adobe's.

https://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud/the-latest-and-greatest-for-premiere-pro-cc-and-media-encoder/?segment=dva


http://www.newsshooter.com/2017/05/03/51093/



Teaching Adobe Premiere this coming Fall

I also came across this Adobe Live Stream Series - How to Make Great Videos.  I am currently working on developing my own Adobe Premiere workshop for the Digital Learning Lab at Princeton.  I always like to see how other instructors approach teaching software and what they emphasize compared to what I emphasize.  While my future students could simply watch a series such as this one, which is an excellent in-depth view of Premiere, I will need to take a more targeted approach.  Students who will be attending my workshop will more than likely be doing so to fulfill a video requirement for a class.  Many of these students are taking four or five courses at Princeton and won't have the time to dedicate to six hours to learning a software package for a single assignment.  However, as I mentioned in an earlier blog post, this is the type of new literacy that I believe students will need to be successful in their future careers.  Knowing this, my approach will be to provide them with the technical skills, abilities, and judgement to make the fundamental choices for crafting messages in a digital story.  Because Premiere now handles multiple video formats without transcoding, students won't need to understand more complex things like video codecs, at least not initially.  My hope is to guide them toward creating effective stories and instill an interest to further develop a 21st century means of communication.

https://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud/live-stream-series-how-to-make-great-videos/?segment=dva

No comments:

Post a Comment